March 17, 2009

Life without my iPod

I bought my first iPod in 2004 and I have to say I immediately became addicted to that little pod and the firm with an apple logo whose name I won't mention here. 

Indeed I grew up in prehistorical times when I had to write the songs I liked on a tape to listen to them on my walkman, on my way to high school. When I would get bored of hearing the same songs over and over again, I would write new songs on the old ones and keep the same tape forever. After a while they made the CD walkman - I don't even remember how it was called - but the issue remained the same : what if I suddenly wanted to listen to a song that wasn't on my tape or CD ? I had to wait till I got back home. Thanks firm with an apple logo for bringing to an end this intolerable frustration.

Recently I changed laptops and my iPod refused to cooperate with the new computer. It decided to be entirely full and refuse any new song or modification of my playlists. In a nutshell, my iPod had a 24-hour black-out.

Don't believe people that tells you they rediscovered the sound of birds singing and children laughting the day their iPod died. It's bullshit. When my iPod died, all I could hear outside was the sound of Parisian pigeons in love (not pretty) and the screeking of the subway train on the rails. It was so horrible I could have cried. Life without my iPod had didn't taste the same.

I decided to restore the original parameters - an option iTunes provides when your iPod is in a really bad shape, which sounds, to non-geeks like me, quite terrifying. I thought my baby iPod would never survive the operation. During the process I kept looking anguishly at it and patting it to show I cared.

Miraculously enough, it survived the restoration and started singing my songs again. This story could have made me think of my multimedia dependence and how I can't live without these new technology things. That's bullshit too. Music has always been there for me, highlighting or bringing in thoughts while I walk down the streets. It's a way to tell the story of my day in a soundtrack kind of way. And the fact I'm addicted to my iPod, this little marvel hosting in its body my entire CD collection, has nothing to do with technology. It's a mere credit to the genius of the firm with the apple logo. Thanks, guys !

PS : I don't hold any stock of this firm, and nobody sends free new products to the unfamous blogger I am. Thus this article is no advertisement of any kind to those firm and brand. *sigh*

2 comments:

  1. I'm feeling you! I lost my mp3 player once, like, definitively, and it's like I lost a part of myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey nouveau blog, félicitations :)

    Happy new year !

    ReplyDelete